Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Military History - Regimental fun fact, by Richard Lacelle

Regimental fun fact, by Richard Lacelle


Fun fact about our Forceful Sherman (ww11 unit tank) at the CWM. (Canadian War Memorial) I made/machined the 30-caliber machine gun barrel coming out from the co-driver position.

I was PMC of the Men’s Mess at the time, so I was involved in the set-up at the Drill Hall prior to the dedication ceremony. During one of the meetings, Guthrie Woods mentioned that they would have to plug the opening where the barrel protruded from the tank so birds/mice etc. could not enter the tank.

At the time I was a tool and die maker working at LETE (Land Engineering Test Establishment) for DND. I mentioned that I could make a mock barrel and then they could insert it to complete the look of the tank. At work the next day, I went to my Capt. and my foreman, told them what I wanted to make and why, immediately they set up a legitimate work-order.

We had a GPMG on site (not too many places have automatic weapons at work) so I used it as a model, from there I machined the components and assembled the mock barrel. I brought it to the techs at CFB Uplands who were refurbishing the tank and they installed it for us.



Recommend this post and follow Sputniks Orbit



No comments:

Post a Comment